Tuesday, August 20, 2013

"Like a Boss"

Ever heard the old saying "too many chiefs and not enough Indians?" That seems to be the common thought among everyone in our house, including myself. Shannon and I brought our family into my parent's home around four months ago, after Mom's health declined and she needed full time care. Dad used to always say "two families don't belong under the same roof." I concur, Pops, but technically we are all kin. Sometimes things are good, sometimes not so good. I like to THINK that I am the head of the household, but yet it's not my house. It's mom's and she is quick to let us know that. Shannon is bringing home the bacon these days so she has a great deal of pull and rightfully so. Braxton (the almost 3 yr old) is in charge of entertainment. He loves the Wiggles.



 We have had them on two televisions at the same time AND playing on the DVD player in the van. I can play more Wiggles songs on my guitar than I can worship songs. All singing in the house/car has to be ok'd by him. The other day I was singing the family an awesome "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star/Older Women are Beautiful Lovers" medley and he shut me down. In a commanding voice he says, "THAT'S ENOUGH, DADDY!" Like a boss.

Greyson on the other hand just kind of goes with the flow. His older brother loves him but does things to get on his nerves, and he handles that pretty good. He sleeps in his "big boy" bed every night. He eats good. All is well with him UNTIL something doesn't go his way. To say he throws a fit is an understatement. The child will arch his back until the back of his head touches his ankles. Then he just falls out. Kick, scream, spit, cry, you name it. He shuts the whole house down. Like a boss.
A few weeks ago I watched an episode of "Undercover Boss." The CEO of an international luxury hotel chain disguised himself as a maintenance man and infiltrated the working class stiffs. He saw what was going on behind the scenes and in the end rewarded those who were doing a good job. Our Heavenly Father does the same to us. How do I know that? It's in the Bible.

Hebrews 13:1-2 says "Let brotherly love continue. Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some have unwittingly entertained angels." Wow. Kind of like a Heavenly quality control. Talk about an undercover boss!! Our reward for living for Christ and striving to be Christlike is eternal life with Him.

No matter how much WE try and rule the roost or run the show, he needs to be the boss, not us. I know in my life, everything that I have tried to do on my own seemed to fall apart, sometimes quick and sometimes painfully slow. Proverbs 3: 5-6 says "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." And He will do it, too. Like a boss.