Thursday, September 12, 2013

Faithfulness and Beggar Lice

Hackelia virginiana, commonly known as Beggar's Lice, is a biennial plant native to Eastern North America. It has simple, rough leaves and ribbed green stems.

The flowers are small and white, bourne in mid-late summer. The seeds are burrs, and are very sticky. Often the entire plant will come out of the ground if the seeds catch on clothing or fur, so it is generally considered a pest plant.

If anyone has ever had contact with this plant, you'll know it. The little green or brown seed-like burrs will stick to clothes, equipment, leg hair, whatever they can. And you can't brush them off. You have to pull them off one at a time.

Recently I had an encounter with God and Beggar Lice at the same time. A lesson was learned and a blog topic was born. I am a backpacker. An amateur mountaineer and hiker. I love putting on my pack and climbing stuff. I was forced to do it when I was in the Infantry and swore I would never do it again upon discharge. 20 years later here I am doing it for fun and exercise.

One of my favorite places to hike is the Vicksburg National Military Park. There's something about trekking over the grounds where thousands of men died that makes my pack seem a little lighter. It's quiet, serene and the grounds are well kept.

Several weeks back I was about half way through six mile hike and I heard thunder off in the distance. I have an old A.L.I.C.E pack. In it I keep cast iron for weight and I use blankets and pillows for girth and to balance the load. The pack isn't waterproof and all I could think of at the moment was how much heavier it would be if it were water-logged.

I picked up my pace a little and kept my eyes on the clouds. The wind started to pick up considerably and the temperature dropped about 10 degrees. When that happens,you know it's about to storm. There was no shelter between my position and my truck so there I was...trying to beat the storm back to the parking lot.

As the thunder got closer and the clouds darker, I figured now was a good time to pray.
"Lord, I'm not asking you to not make it rain, I'm not asking you to postpone it. What I am asking is that you give this back and these legs of mine the strength to make it back to the truck before you allow the bottom to fall out. Lord, if this pack gets soaked I may have to ditch it and come back later. It will be to heavy for me to carry."

An amazing thing happened. My legs felt renewed, the wind shifted to my back and I was moving at a good pace  towards safety. I had asked God for something specific and he was answering. I felt like Forrest Gump when he busted out of those shackles on his legs. I was filled with a confidence that I would make to my vehicle before the storm hit.

 I came to a short cut. I could look across a field and see my truck sitting there, the ominous clouds above it. I had never taken this route before because it also meant crossing 4 lanes of heavy traffic on foot. I was faced with a decision to do one of two things. I could:

1) Having just prayed for strength and having my prayers answered, I could keep my faith in God and stay on the designated path that was marked. It was a safe way to get to my truck, but it would take longer to get there, meaning I might end up getting wet. Or....

2) I could cut across this "innocent" field, brave 4 lanes of rush hour traffic with a 70lb pack, and maybe make it to my truck in time.

I took my eyes off Him and struck out on my own. I actually had to hop a fence to cross the field, and just a few feet in I realized I had made a bad mistake. I had Beggar Lice stuck to me from my shoes to my chest. And I mean a bunch. By the time I was halfway to my truck, you couldn't tell what color shorts or shoes I had on. I emerged from the woods looking like The Swamp Thing. I'm surprised I didn't cause a wreck as I was crossing the road. I had to undress in the parking lot because I was literally sticking to myself. It was horrible. I ended up having to throw my clothes away and cut the burrs out of my leg hair. And to prove God has a sense of humor, it didn't even rain. The storm blew over.

This reminded me of the story of Peter walking across the water to meet Jesus. 

22 Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go before him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. 23 And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, 24 but the boat by this time was a long way from the land, beaten by the waves, for the wind was against them. 25 And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea. 26 But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” and they cried out in fear. 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.”
28 And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” 29 He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 33 And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.” Matthew 14:22-33.



I took my eyes off Him. No, I didn't sink in the ocean, but I did get covered in Beggar Lice. I thought that I had found an easier way to do things instead of staying on the course that I knew would be the best bet. How often in life do we do that. We always try and take short cuts instead of just toughing it out. God has all of us, myself included on a specific course for our lives. When we try and put self over God, it won't work! We must keep our faith in Him and TRUST that our prayers are being answered. Or we may just get covered in Beggar Lice.